Skip to main content

My Love-Hate Relationships with Cellphones

I am a HUGE proponent for the integration of technology into the learning environment. I am not however a fan of how much of my day gets completely consumed by the drama that is caused when kids abuse their cellphones. The volume of cases seem to increasing and it can become overwhelming. Stories are difficult to corroborate/substantiate. It's very grey, very fuzzy...

Sometimes I feel like we've been talking to brick walls over the last number of years. Kids don't seem to be getting the messages we have been sending about the consequences that certain choices yield, not to mention how inhumane it is to troll and spam each other, distribute inappropriate photos, engage in group chats aimed to malign the reputation of another - the list goes on and on. These incidents take place off school property, separate from the school day and administrators are being made to deal with the fallout. I strongly believe that this is an issue that goes beyond school.

So... between the interviewing and re-interviewing, screenshot viewing, the text message reading and the sob-filled accounts about what happened on Saturday night at a party and the phone calls that ensued, I think it's time we re-examine this issue and the people who can support administrators - parents and police. In working with our school resource officers, I know they feel pressured to deal with these matters but they are certainly better equipped than I am. How many more guest speakers do we need to hire? How many more suspensions do we have to issue? Sometimes I feel like schools are on the front line of this issue and made to deal solely with the fallout.  There have been stories in the news about schools banning phones outright and I'm not all that comfortable with that because there is so much potential for good. I'm just so baffled why these tools are being used for so much evil. Maybe there's a bigger issue that needs to be addressed here and the on-going misuse of cellular technology is only a symptom.

I always feel so badly for kids who get caught in the middle of other people's poor choices and I know that it is my job to make their school a safe place for them. As for the kids who hurt other kids, I always want to present them with an opportunity to redeem themselves, to make better choices going forward but I seem to see repeat offenses more often than not. It's disappointing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leading During a Pandemic

 Never thought I'd EVER type a title like that.  Pandemics were only events I had taught about during my History classes. The experience thus far can only be described as surreal. It's been a part of our reality for nearly 10 months now and the fear and uncertainty is still not lost on me with the reporting of daily infection and death rates. It has been my single greatest challenge as a leader to date to show up to work everyday imbuing optimism that we're going to be ok, that school is a safe place to be. I have to say that on 98% of those days, I have believed just that. We have be so very fortunate not to have experienced any positive diagnoses of COVID-19 so far. Implementing the new health and safety protocols, while tedious and laborious, has not been all that  difficult. Sure, the work up front was a lot - signage, taping arrows and cues on the walls and floors, rearranging classroom furniture to establish social distancing in the classrooms ... as the Principal, th

Catholic Education Week 2020

Tomorrow marks the beginning of Catholic Education Week. It is truly a gift to be able to work in a publicly-funded Catholic school, where we can be free to express our faith so freely and unapologetically. It's a bit sad that we are presently in quarantine and cannot gather in community to celebrate this wonderful gift but my staff and I decided to capitalize on the marvel that is social media to stay connected to our students. We wanted to inspire hope and encourage them from our homes, to theirs. I challenged my staff to select a favourite Scripture passage that they felt evokes a great sense of hope and each day on our school's Twitter feed, I feature a staff member with their quote. I also posted these photos into all of the Google Classrooms that the staff were running for  distance learning. In our special community, where relationships are so key to student success, we thought it was important for the kids to see our faces. We called our little project #motivatedbyfaith

Where Has the Time Gone?

I've not posted anything in more than two years.  I just realized that only recently when time slowed right down into our current distance learning situation. I supposed not being fully immersed in the harried and hurried pace of a typical school day has allowed me the benefit of time to more intentionally collect my thoughts. I have been working as a Principal for the past two years and I've not formally reflected on or consolidated the tremendous amount of learning I've undergone. I have missed this very necessary exercise and so I will endeavour to be more regular. It's always been my experience that when I consolidate any learning more formally, I remember better and I apply more consistently. I have spent the last two years in the very last place I ever expected to begin my journey as Principal and that is leading a very special community of educators, support staff and students in our system's alternative education program. At the same time, it's the mos